Dragon1952............... 11
    Fred2388.................. 7
    IgetP2s..................... 4
    dkp.............................. 2
    miklos...........................1
    Rick............................. 1
    bobomax.................... 0
    xbigpappa.................. 0

Pretty sure I won my SU and my ML doesn't that give me 23 points??

Comment

Boys, unfortunately your yankee pick on saturday did not count. I think you posted that game 5 minutes before it started. I refer you to Rule # 7 which states:

7) Each pick must be POSTED at least ONE HOUR prior to the scheduled start of the SELECTED GAME (s) that will be played on that day. PLEASE READ THIS RULE CAREFULLY!

Comment

Originally posted by Monroe Eaford View Post
        Boys, unfortunately your yankee pick on saturday did not count. I think you posted that game 5 minutes before it started. I refer you to Rule # 7 which states:

7) Each pick must be POSTED at least ONE HOUR prior to the scheduled start of the SELECTED GAME (s) that will be played on that day. PLEASE READ THIS RULE CAREFULLY!
        OK....I see that now, thanks.

Comment

Thats the hardest rule for me too, I have missed 3 winners atleast because of the hour earlier post time.
          good luck

Comment

yeah... we're through 10 weeks and every week so far, at least one person has lost a point (or points) because of this rule. I'm not a big fan of this rule, especially for this particular contest but a lot of the veteran posters (including Jeff) seem to like it. We can't change it at this point. I argued against it for the college football and NFL game of the week contest but was basically voted down. I can see a reason for it in the bowl contests, but I really don't like it in the other ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Monroe Eaford View Post
              yeah... we're through 10 weeks and every week so far, at least one person has lost a point (or points) because of this rule. I'm not a big fan of this rule, especially for this particular contest but a lot of the veteran posters (including Jeff) seem to like it. We can't change it at this point. I argued against it for the college football and NFL game of the week contest but was basically voted down. I can see a reason for it in the bowl contests, but I really don't like it in the other ones.
              The reason for it in most of our contests is to increase traffic to the site. If picks are posted one hour before game time, the site can pick up traffic as guys check in to see who is picking who. That's good for Jeff, so I support it. Baseball is not as popular so the rule probably does not help drive much traffic, but the reasoning was the same.

Comment

Originally posted by widestrides View Post
                The reason for it in most of our contests is to increase traffic to the site. If picks are posted one hour before game time, the site can pick up traffic as guys check in to see who is picking who. That's good for Jeff, so I support it. Baseball is not as popular so the rule probably does not help drive much traffic, but the reasoning was the same.
                Agree with Wide 100%. It does increase traffic to the site. In addition, as I previously stated, contestants who have little if any chance to win any of the contests can check the leaders picks and have the opportunity to play them in the real world. E.g., last year's NFL football contest had the leaders dogkatcher and resteasy with a 79% winning record the last 4 - 5 weeks of the contest.

Just yesterday, I noted Monroe's Over on the Det. - Colorado game which was an easy winner. I played it in the real world - Thanks Monroe.

laxsfo99

Comment

Lax, I can see the point you and widestrides are making and if it increases traffic for the site, then its probably a good thing. After all, most of these are free contests so nobody should be complaining... and I'm not really complaining, just discussing some of these deadlines. Sometimes I think we make these contests too difficult when they should really be a lot simpler. I think sometimes we stumble all over ourselves trying to make sure a pick doesn't count... when we should probably be doing the exact opposite. Seems to me that if a pick is made before the game starts, it should count. Its that simple to me.

For example, in the college football contest a couple of years ago... first week of the season, a new poster took BYU as a 22.5 underdog against oklahoma as his play of the week. Not only did BYU cover, but they won straight up. The game started at 8 pm on saturday and he posted at around 2 pm saturday so the pick was discounted because of the 11 AM deadline that X strictly enforces except when he posts late himself. So this newbie posts the best play of the weekend 6 hours before the game starts and gets ZERO points for it? Thats just wrong in my book. He never posted again and who could blame him. So while these
                  deadlines may increase traffic, we probably run off a lot of good cappers this way as well. I can just imagine this guy after he found out he didn't get credit for his BYU upset... he probably found the nearest bridge and jumped off while screaming "I had BYU and they won't count it!!!"

Glad you hit on the tigers/rockies total Lax. Seems like they aren't using the humidor lately and the rockies and their opponents are back to scoring 15 runs a game between them. I never liked the fact that they used a humidor anyway. Gimme the 10-9 games over a 2-1 pitching matchup any day of the week.

Comment

I second that thought on the humidor in Colorado, that should be just the way it is get ready for a lot of runs., I thought the hour early is a bit much, seems like 30 minutes should be sufficient for everyone to check in and get the picks for the top cappers. Its just hard for people on the west coast like me since sundays some games start at 10am and I have to make my pick my 9am, hard to get up early enough for that. Congrats to You Monroe your you picks have been solid
                    good luck

Comment

The problem I see with the 1 hr rule in baseball is with all of the weird starting times and trying to figure in the different time zones into the posted starting times and then subtracting an hour. With football it's easy because the starting times are always the same...10AM and 1PM...for the bulk of the games.

Comment

garister, glad to hear that you're with me on this one hour deadline rule. I thought I was on an island with this one. I never even considered the west coast factor but thats another arguement in our favor. I think you would be amongst the leaders in this contest if not for the dreaded Rule # 7.

Dragon, yes... the scattered starting times does make it more difficult in bases. It also makes scoring a little more difficult. On sunday night its like.... well lets go back and see who we can take points off of. Only part about the scoring that I don't like.

Comment

Working...
                        X